4 Reasons You Should Change Your Tax Withholdings

Even though this year’s tax season is over, that doesn’t mean your tax business is done. You may want to revisit the tax withholdings from your paycheck, pension check, or unemployment benefits check. The wrong amount of withholdings could mean a smaller tax refund next year or even worse, a big tax bill. There are several reasons why you may need to change your tax withholdings. Here’s what to know. Major change to your life Did you get married or divorced? Did you have or adopt a child? Did your income (or your spouse’s) income dramatically change? These are all good reasons to review your paycheck withholdings to make sure enough is being paid to the government. Need more cash flow If your income is lower than it used to be — perhaps from the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic — changing your withholdings could be one way to increase your monthly cash flow. You can opt to send less tax per paycheck to the federal government and pocket it yourself, helping you with bills and other financial obligations. The downside is that you will get a smaller or none at all next year at tax time. Don’t reduce your withholdings too much, though, or you could end up owing the tax man next year. The wrong amount of withholdings could mean a smaller tax refund next year, or even worse, a big tax bill. You’re getting unemployment benefits If you lost your job and are now receiving unemployment benefits, make sure your taxes are withheld from each check. If you live in Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming, you will only have to pay federal tax because those states have no personal income tax. In California, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, there is a tax exemption for unemployment benefits. How to change your withholdings You can change your paycheck withholdings by filling out a new Form W-4 and submitting it to your employer’s payroll department. To figure out your withholdings, use the IRS’s Tax Withholding Estimator, which can be adjusted to meet your personal circumstances. The tool allows you to choose what refund amount you want to receive next year — if any — and will calculate how much to withhold to achieve that goal. To get the most reliable withholdings estimate, you’ll need your most recent pay statements for yourself and your spouse, if applicable; any information for other sources of income you have; and your most recent income tax return. Use the results to change your paycheck withholdings. On your employer paycheck: Complete a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate, which you can get from your employer’s payroll department. Submit the form to your employer as soon as possible. Many companies have an automated system for submitting withholdings changes. Check with your payroll department to see if this option is available. If you receive pension income: Complete a Form W-4P and give it to your pension or annuity payer. On your unemployment check: When you first apply for unemployment benefits, you should have the option to elect automatic withholding. If you failed to do this, you can file a W-4V, or Voluntary Withholding Request, to have state and federal taxes automatically withheld from your unemployment payment.
Back To Top